Restoration of Historic Well in the Heart of Linlithgow
The historic Cross Well in Linlithgow was constructed in 1807, as a replacement of an earlier well on the site built in 1628. The 1807 construction includes elaborate carvings created by a one-handed stonemason, and over the past 200 years it has suffered from damage and the effects of traffic pollution.
EKJN were appointed by West Lothian Council as Conservation Architects in 2016 to manage a comprehensive restoration and refurbishment of the well. The project involved restoring the statues, repointing stonework, recarving lost features, removing deposits from traffic pollution, bringing water pumps back into working order and installing new lighting to accentuate the intricate sculptural features of the structure.