Duntarvie Castle, Winchburgh
Conservation and Conversion of Castle
A 1605 charter infers the existence of Duntarvie Castle as early as 1212. By 1826 the house was in ownership of the Earl of Hopetoun, and in need of urgent repair. It was uninhabited from the 1840s, and by the 20th Century it was ruinous and roofless. Eventually the shell was purchased by kiltmaker Geoffrey Nicholsby with the intention of restoring it after 180 years of dereliction.
EKJN's involvement with Duntarvie Castle spans over many years. Planning Permission for the restoration has been granted and construction of the new roof is now underway.
Additional involvement by EKJN includes the design of a miniature tank adventure trail in the Castle's grounds, development of the site as a wedding venue and the introduction of Glamping pods - all intended to help provide funding for the main renovation project.